Thursday, April 08, 2010

improvise, adapt, overcome


Improvise, adapt, overcome, a phrase a buddy of mine told me he learned in the Marines. I try to think about it every time I get in a jam. I don't get to shoot a lot of sports anymore...in fact I haven't shot a baseball game in about two years. I got a call to shoot a game at the last minute... the 7 o'clock game had actually started so I got there at the top of the second plenty of time and the bases all seemed to be in the same places and the pitcher was still on the mound so I thought cool, it's still the same, except the light was getting low. Dilemma #2 I don't have a long sports lens anymore but I figured I could come up with something. then I spotted a baseball mom with a canon camera and one of those entry level 70-300 5.6 zooms and I asked if I could borrow it for a few minutes and she said sure. After shooting a few frames of the pitcher they got a man on first so I ran over to the right field side and found a 5 gallon bucket there to stand on so I could shoot over the fence in case there was a play at second. The next pitch a ball was hit sharply in the infield and the play comes to second and I shoot 3 frames with my blazing fast 3 frames a second 5D and kinda got an ok shot. Turns out I borrowed the lens from the short stops mom, whose son turned the double play at second (top photo) wow how lucky was that, prayer works ....use it. Moral of the story, use your on lens at least it kinda makes you look professional.

No comments: